According to the American Dental Association (ADA), dental implants have become the standard by which all other types of tooth replacement therapies are measured. The reasons for this are numerous, though patient benefits are easily the most important.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Implants offer firm support to man-made teeth. Dentures, bridges or single teeth attached to the implants won’t slip or shift in your mouth – a very important benefit when eating and speaking.
- This secure fit also helps man-made teeth feel more natural than typical bridges or dentures.
- Some people may find implant-supported dentures more comfortable than dentures that do not use implants to anchor them.
- Where teeth are missing, dental implants also help keep the jawbone from shrinking.
- Implants are a good value, because they can last a lifetime with good care.
For all of these reasons, patient satisfaction with dental implants is greater than with any other form of tooth replacement therapy, as we mentioned in a previous post, Patients Are Happy with Dental Implants.
The versatility of dental implants also contributes to the popularity of the treatment for tooth loss.
Single Tooth Implants
The single tooth implant replaces the missing tooth’s roots. A single tooth implant is a stand-alone unit and does not involve treating the teeth next to it.
Dental implants can be used to support a bridge when several teeth are missing. The implant-supported bridge replaces the lost natural teeth and some of the tooth roots. Unlike traditional bridges, an implant-supported bridge does not need support from the teeth next to it.
If you are missing all of your teeth, an implant-supported denture can replace the missing teeth and some of the tooth roots. Because the dental implants integrate (or “fuse”) with the jawbone, an implant-supported denture tends to be comfortable and stable, allowing you to bite and chew naturally.
The doctors and staff at the The Colorado Center for Implants and Prosthetic Dentistry, are your full-service Littleton dental implants specialist and are experts in all types of tooth replacement therapy. If you would like more information on your family’s dental needs, make an appointment today.